About VIA LINK’s Crisis Teen Textline
504-777-3273 aka 504-777-EASE
Hours of Operation:
VIA LINK’s Crisis Teen Textline is primarily meant to serve youth ages 13-22 throughout the state of Louisiana experiencing emotional distress. Crisis Intervention Specialists, also simply known as Specialists, are able to provide emotional support, information and/or referrals to community resources, and crisis intervention as needed. Specialists are not here to judge, give advice, or tell you what to do. We understand that people are the experts in their own lives.
How it Works
The Crisis Teen Textline serves anyone ages 13-22, in any type of crisis, providing access to free, 24/7 support and information through text message.
Here’s how it works:
- Text 504-777-3273 from anywhere in Louisiana, anytime, about any type of crisis. (Starting a text indicates that you have agreed to our Terms of Service).
- Before the Specialist joins the conversation, you will be asked a few brief questions. Your answers are confidential.
- After you’ve submitted the brief questions, a live, trained Crisis Intervention Specialist will join the conversation.
- The Specialist will work with you to help you process your specific situation by providing emotional support and information and/or referrals if needed.
The goal of Crisis Teen Textline is to be a service to you when you need someone to talk to. During your session, the Specialist may ask you questions to help them better understand your situation and your emotions, as well as to assess your safety. The Specialist will talk with you about how you are feeling, and help you create a safety plan if necessary. If the Specialist feels that you cannot stay safe without emergency intervention, he or she may talk with you about contacting those services. In the extreme case that you cannot keep safe or will not contact emergency services yourself, the Specialist reserves the right to contact the appropriate services for you. However, this is never our first course of action and is only done if absolutely necessary.
Once you have ended your text session, you will be given the opportunity to tell us about your experience with our services in a brief survey. Hearing directly from you allows us to develop programs and services that help you best. We really appreciate your feedback.
Terms of Service
Crisis Teen Textline Terms & Conditions
USE OF THIS SERVICE IS BOUND BY THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS. Please read the following statement before using this service. By using VIA LINK’s Crisis Teen Textline, you agree to the terms described below. If you don't agree to the terms, you may not use this service.
Modification of the Terms, Conditions and Privacy Statement
These statements may be modified from time to time. Any changes will be effective immediately upon posting. Each time you access this service you will be presented with the current terms, conditions and privacy statement for acceptance. When you use our services, we assume you have agreed to our most current policies and terms of service.
VIA LINK Crisis Teen Textline Guidelines:
- Use respectful language.
- Stay focused on the text and respond regularly. We suggest you try to limit multitasking to get the most out of your text session.
- If you need to step away from your phone, let us know that you need to end the text and come back when you have time again.
PROHIBITED USES; RIGHT TO TERMINATE ACCESS
You may use Crisis Teen Textline only for lawful purposes and in accordance with these Terms. You agree to use Crisis Teen Textline only for lawful and legitimate purposes. You agree not to use Crisis Teen Textline:
- In any way that violates any applicable federal, state, local and international law or regulation;
- For the purpose of exploiting, harming or attempting to exploit or harm minors in any way by exposing them to inappropriate content, asking for personal information or otherwise;
- To threaten, harass, or otherwise inappropriately abuse Crisis Teen Textline, its employees, partners, agents, subcontractors, Specialists, or others;
- To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or reuse any content which does not comply with these Terms;
- To “spam,” gather or attempt to gather personal information belonging to users or others for the purposes of spamming, marketing, selling to third parties, or otherwise abusing Crisis Teen Textline or its users;
- To impersonate or attempt to impersonate another person or entity; or
- To otherwise attempt to interfere with the proper working of Crisis Teen Textline.
Crisis Teen Textline reserves the right to terminate your access to the textline if you violate these Terms, including by engaging in the prohibited uses described above or for other reasons not outlined here. For example, we might determine that you’d be better served by a different kind of support or that you require service beyond those that we can reasonably provide to you. Crisis Teen Textline further reserves the right to terminate your access to it, for any other reason, at our sole discretion.
Nature of Crisis Teen Textline’s Service
Standard texting rates may apply when you use our service.
YOUR PARTICIPATION IN VIA LINK’s CRISIS TEEN TEXTLINE DOES NOT CONSTITUTE MENTAL HEALTH CARE OR TREATMENT AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP, A THERAPIST-PATIENT RELATIONSHIP OR ANY OTHER SORT OF CONFIDENTIAL RELATIONSHIP. THIS SERVICE IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL HEALTH CARE. IF YOU BELIEVE YOU ARE EXPERIENCING A MEDICAL EMERGENCY, CALL YOUR DOCTOR OR 9-1-1 IMMEDIATELY.
VIA LINK and any of their employees, volunteers or agents are not responsible for any decisions, or results of the decisions that you make while, as a result of, or after participating in Crisis Teen Textline. This includes whether you choose to seek or not seek professional care, or to modify or terminate specific treatment that you are currently receiving based on the information provided by this service. You assume all risk for use of this service. VIA LINK and any of their employees, volunteers, or agents have no liability for actions taken by you or a third party, or not taken by you or a third party, and you agree to indemnify us and hold us harmless for damages arising out of information provided through this service. Without limiting the foregoing, in no event shall VIA LINK be liable for any special, incidental, consequential, or indirect damages. This service is provided on an “as is” basis and “as available” basis. VIA LINK expressly disclaims all warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied and make no warranty that VIA LINK’s Crisis Teen Textline will a) meet your requirements; b) be uninterrupted, timely, confidential, secure, or error-free; or c) meet your expectations.
PRIVACY AND SECURITY
We take your privacy and security very seriously, so we employ reasonable security measures to help protect your information. Despite these protections, SMS remains an imperfectly secure environment. By using Crisis Teen Textline, you agree to use and submit information at your own risk, and you agree that Crisis Teen Textline has no liability regarding anyone’s unauthorized access to data associated with it.
COLLECTION AND USE OF NON-PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION
We also collect non-Personally Identifiable Information, which is data that cannot be directly used to identify or contact you. We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose non-Personally Identifiable Information for any purpose, including but not limited to improving volunteer services, disclosing to third parties to generate support for VIA LINK’s Crisis Teen Textline, or as required by funders.
Below are examples of the Information that we collect and how we may use it:
- We may collect information such as age, gender, zip code, and area code, to better understand our visitors and improve our service.
- We also may collect information regarding usage of Crisis Teen Textline such as the conversation volume, average length of conversation, and other data. This information is aggregated and helps us conduct internal research so we can improve the quality of our service.
Confidentiality of Crisis Teen Textline
VIA LINK Specialist s are bound by confidentiality and will not discuss or release your information to any third parties. However, there are several circumstances in which a chat Specialist may be mandated by law to break confidentiality:
- If the Specialist believes that you are an immediate danger to yourself or someone else and needs to contact emergency services to assist.
- In cases where reportable abuse is mentioned. VIA LINK Specialist s are mandated reporters for abuse inflicted upon any of the following populations:
- Children under the age of 18
- Elderly persons over the age of 60
- Any person who is disabled
- Any person who is institutionalized, such as within a nursing home, hospital, or prison.
You are never required to provide the Specialist with any more information than you want to. VIA LINK Specialists will not make reports of any criminal activity for any reason other than those stated above.
Always be careful and responsible regarding your Personally Identifiable Information. We are not responsible for, and cannot control, what others not affiliated with Crisis Teen Textline do with information you provide to them.
One suggestion: you might want to delete Crisis Teen Textline conversations from your phone. You might even want to clear us from your history and make sure we are not saved in your contact list. It is understandable if you want to take these steps and others to ensure that your relationship to Crisis Text Line remains your business.